The Xiamen Overseas Chinese Museum is a comprehensive museum that highlights the history of overseas Chinese, and the only Chinese museum set up by overseas Chinese. Located at the foot of Fengchao (bee hive) Hill, the museum was founded by the eminent overseas Chinese philanthropist Chen Jiageng (Tan Kah-kee) in 1958 and opened to the public in May 1959.
The museum covers an area of 50,000 square meters. Its main building, which has a construction area of more than 4,000 square meters, is a palace-style structure made of granites.
The museum has three exhibition halls, which have on display more than 5,000 potteries, bronze wares, sculptures and paintings of the past dynasties; 5,000 objects, photos and documents related to the history of oversea Chinese; about 3,000 specimens of animals, plants, aquatic products and rocks; and about 2,000 cultural relics and pictures of other countries in Asia, Europe and America.
The museum has three exhibition halls: the Hall of History of Overseas Chinese, displaying thousands of items to reflect the history of and the production and life of Chinese emigration overseas before and after liberation; the Hall of Relics of Motherland's History, displaying about 2,000 unearthed relics and artworks, most of which were collected by Mr. Tan Kah-kee; and the Hall of Nature, displaying about 2,000 specimens of animals, birds, and aquatic products, etc.
Special exhibitions of the museum include Unearthed Mummies in Xinjiang, Inner Mongolian Folk Relics, Luoyang Tang San Cai (Tang Tri-color glazed pottery), and Ancient Technological Achievements of Chinese Agriculture, etc.