The Xingcheng City Wall is located in Xingcheng City in the southwest of Liaoning Province.
The Xingchen Ancient City is the best-preserved city in China. It was built in 1430 during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) and rebuilt in 1781 during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).
With its back to the mountains and close to the sea, the grand ancient city is square in shape with each side measuring about 880 meters. The city, which covers an area of about 600,000 square meters, has gates on all four sides with platforms. The city wall is 10.1 meters high, 6.3 meters wide at the base and 4.5 meters wide near the top. The outer wall was built using black bricks, while the inner side is made of ashlars. There were originally four gate towers on all sides, but only the south and west towers remain. Four, small, defensive towns outside the gates have all been demolished to some extent.
The Xingcheng Ancient City is a famous historical and cultural site. Renowned General Yuan Chonghuan of the Ming Dynasty once garrisoned there and drove off Qing troops several times. It is a northern flatland city typical of the Ming and Qing dynasties. Old cities of such arrangements are rarely seen in present China.