The Tongxin Mosque sits in the old city of Tangxin County, Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region.
The Tongxin Mosque is one of the largest structures in Islamic architecture with a long history in Ningxia. It is believed that the mosque was built during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). According to inscriptions on the tablets, the mosque experienced two large-scale renovations in 1791 and 1907.
The mosque's main gate faces north and has a brick screen wall (imitating the wooden style) built in front of it. Carved in the center of the screen wall is an exquisite flower and tree pattern. Through the arched door and a dark cave are steps leading to the top of the 10-meter-high base. The base is paved with bricks and covers an area of over 3,500 square meters. Constructions built on the base include the meeting house, the Bangke Building (Wakening Building) andAkhun houses. Sitting in the west and facing east, the meeting house -- the main construction of the mosque -- has a single-layered gable and hip roof. Built on the brick and stone structures, the house is five bays wide and nine bays deep. Supported by over 20 huge columns, all the floors in the house are covered with wooden boards. On the right side in the front of the meeting house is theWakening Building, a pavilion-style building with double eaves.
The Tongxin Mosque combines Chinese traditional wooden structures with Islamic wood and brick carvings, reflecting a high standard architectural technique. When the Chinese Worker's and Peasants' Red Army went on a westward campaign in 1936, liberating large areas in southeast Ningxia, they held a meeting there with delegates from all walks of life. They also set up the Yuhai County People's Government in Shanganning, making the old mosque a famous piece of revolutionary architecture in Ningxia.