The Huangcheng Mosque is one of the most famous mosques in Southwest China. It is called Huangcheng (palace wall) for short, and located in Chengdu City, Sichuan Province. It was named because it is near to the palace of a dynasty in the local history.
It was established in the 16thcentury. The first repair began in 1858. In 1917, the mosque was seriously destroyed by war. Although it was rebuilt right after the war, its scale was reduced for financial reasons. Originally it covered an area of more than 6,600 square meters, while it only took up about 5,000 square meters after the reconstruction. However, it is still the largest mosque in Sichuan Province.
The existing mosque consists of an entrance wall, two gates, an ambulatory, a bathroom, a sutra library and a worship hall, etc. The entrance wall is just opposite to the gate and there is a street between them. A tablet with the name of the mosque on it is hung on the first gate, and a tablet with four Chinese charactersKai Tian Gu Jiao(the most ancient religion) on it is hung on the second gate, which was made during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). There are many block-printed Arabian and Chinese Alcoran in the sutra library. The worship hall was recently rebuilt. It is magnificent, simple and unsophisticated.
It is the headquarters of the Islamic Association of Sichuan Province.