Subscribe to free Email Newsletter

  Library>China ABC>Religion>Taoist Holy Lands
Beijing Dongyue Temple


Situated at the north of the Beijing Chaoyangmenwai Avenue, the Beijing Dongyue Temple covers an area of 60,000 square meters and is a key city-level cultural relics unit under special protection.

Zhang Liusun, the descendant of the Taoist founder Zhang Daoling raised money and constructed this temple. Zhang Liusun was granted titles of the Great Taoist Master and Zhengyi Hierarch by an emperor of the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368) at the end of the 13thcentury. Subsequently, he decided to build the Dongyue Temple, but he died when the project just started.  Therefore, the temple was completed by Zhang Liusun's disciple. The construction was started in 1319 and completed in 1323 .The emperor granted the name of Dongyue Rensheng Palace to it and used it as the Xanadu for Great Dongyue King.

The Dongyue Temple consists of three parts -- main, east and west courtyards. The 17thgeneration Taoist Ma Guanlin expanded the east and west courtyards during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). Most of the extant buildings were the relics of the Qing Dynasty. Buildings in the main courtyard mainly include the Temple Gate, Dragon-Tiger Door, Daizongbao Hall, Yude Hall and Yuhaung Hall. There are the Guangsi Hall, Taizi Hall and Fucai Hall in addition. The Sanmao Zhenjun Ancestral Temple, Wu Quanjie Ancestral Temple, Zhang Liusun Ancestral Temple, Shan Fujun Ancestral Temple and Gaolizhangren Ancestral Temple are located on both sides of the Dai Zongbao Hall. The Hall of the Queen Mother, Doumu Hall, Daxianye Hall, Guandi Hall, Zaojun Hall, Wenchangdijun Hall, Xishen Hall, Lingguan Hall and Zhenwu Hall are at the back of the Daizongbao Palace. The Dongyue Temple is the first grand Taoist temple of the Zhengyi Sect, one of the two sects of Taoism, in the north China. It has over 600 rooms and halls. The Great Dongyue King, the God of Mount Tai, is enshrined in the Dongyue Temple.

The Dongyue Temple was changed to the Beijing Folk Customs Museum in 1995. The Temple Fair for the Spring Festival is held here every year, showing many folk custom performances.

Email to Friends