Subscribe to free Email Newsletter

Luoyang Folklore Museum


Opened in 1987, the Luoyang Folklore Museum: was located in Guandi Temple on the west bank of the Nanya River in Luoyang City of Henan Province. The temple was built in the ninth year (1744) of the reign of Emperor Qianlong in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). It includes the Cunwu Tower, the Great Hall, the Back Hall, two accessory halls in the east and west and the Bell and Drum Tower in which exhibitions of folk beliefs, weddings, birthday celebrations and folk art are shown with objects.

The museum houses 1,879 pieces of cultural relics, 4 pieces of which are of the national first class, including a gilded Buddha statue of 3.5 meters tall made in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), and a wooden tower of 6 meters tall constructed in the Qing Dynasty, both of which are exhibited in the Belief Hall. There are 304 statues of great artistic value. Other exhibition halls include the Embroidery Hall, the Hall of Folk Arts, and the Hall of Wedding Custom.

The Embroidery Hall exhibits all kinds of fancyworks, including costumes, embroidered capes, thin silk skirt, and purses, etc. The Hall of Folk Arts displays woodcarving, shadow plays, and paper-cuts, etc.

The exhibition of steles displays more than 200 steles from the Han (206BC-220), Western Jin (265-316), Northern Qi (550-577), and Song (960-1279) dynasties, etc. Among them,Hui Sehng Gong Bei(the Stele of Meeting in the Holy Palace) is 9.2 meters high and 2.19 meters wide.

Email to Friends